Saturday, February 5, 2011

Lonely Mountain

I have been trying to get the right concept for a piece depicting the Lonely Mountain from The Hobbit. It is a little tough to do when you consider that Tolkien had his Lonely Mountain sort of sitting out in the wild by itself (hence the name). The characters in the story knew the treasure and the dragon lay within, and there was always imminent danger although it lay smoldering. Here I try to depict the beauty and the danger within ... if you could take a slice out of the mountain to reveal it's secrets.

Lonely Mountain

2 comments:

  1. I like this concept very much. The roiling fire seems to show the power of the mountain. I love the clouds too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, you've really captured the feel of that glowing core!

    ReplyDelete