Saturday, February 5, 2011

Goblin-gate

This is one of those instances (and there are many for me in Tolkien's writings) where the simple act of Tolkien formulating the perfect word or phrase is enough to inspire a vivid image. So it is with his word, Goblin-gate. Placed in the story of The Hobbit where it is, it conjures up a scene that is crystal clear to me. Tolkien talks about it being 'high up' and there were landslides and steep valleys. Obviously (at least in my mind) there had to be a river running through it as well. Here then is my vision of ...

Goblin-gate

2 comments:

  1. The river...I think it is interesting to note rivers play such an important part of Tolkien's stories. Your interpretation is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's lovely - the colours are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete